home sciencetext

Mikel Arteta

science 2023-12-01 05:05:05573

After surrendering a two-goal advantage against Liverpool and squandering a chance to build on their Premier League lead, Arsenal were lucky to escape with a 2-2 draw following an exhilarating game on Sunday.

Mikel Arteta

Still, the mood in the dressing room after Sunday's edge-of-seat Anfield drama was about two points lost than the one salvaged, manager Mikel Arteta said.

Mikel Arteta


"When you concede at the end it's always two points dropped," Arteta said.

Mikel Arteta

Arsenal sliced through Liverpool's defence with ruthless efficiency through most of the first half and looked poised to finally exorcise their Anfield demons with their first victory at the Merseyside stadium since 2012.

Instead, the draw spoiled what would have been the Gunners' eighth consecutive win and a chance to move eight points clear of second-place Manchester City.

"Super intense match," Arteta said. "We started very well, scored the first and the second and that was the moment to kill the game. Before half time we gave them hope and they generated belief.

"The second half was a different story. We gave every ball away in dangerous areas and allowed dangerous results and big transition moments. Then you have to suffer."

Arsenal surged into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus, but the game shifted momentum after a scuffle between Granit Xhaka and Trent Alexander-Arnold that riled up the already raucous crowd.

Arsenal had lost their discipline and Mohamed Salah capitalised with a goal just before half time. With Liverpool pressing, Roberto Firmino headed in an 87th-minute equaliser bringing the delirious crowd to their feet.

Salah and Ibrahima Konate had brilliant chances in the dying minutes. Arsenal keeper Aaron Ramsdale swatted away Salah's blistering shot with a diving save and then scrambled to claw the ball off the line as Konate attempted to chest it in.

"We relied on big defensive moments where Aaron took a big part," Arteta said. "We missed that ruthlessness to take the game."

Linesman in trouble

The assistant referee who allegedly elbowed Liverpool's Andy Robertson at half time will not be appointed for matches in the future until an investigation is complete, the referee's body said on Monday.

Liverpool full back Robertson was seen remonstrating with the official, Constantine Hatzidakis, at half time on Sunday and video replays appeared to show him brushing off the Scotland international and catching him with his elbow.

Former Blackburn striker Chris Sutton said on BBC Radio that he advocated for a ban.


Copyright Notice

he website materials are all from the internet. If there are any infringement issues, please contact us and delete them immediately after verification!